Skip to main content
placeholder image

A Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Migraine Therapy

Journal Article


Abstract


  • Migraine is a common idiopathic primary headache disorder with significant mental, physical and social health implications. Accompanying an intense unilateral pulsating head pain other characteristic migraine symptoms include nausea, emesis, phonophobia, photophobia and in 20 ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂà30% of migraine cases, neurologic disturbances associated with the aura phase. Although selective serotonin (5-HT) receptor agonists (i.e., 5-HT1B/1D) are successful in alleviating migrainous symptoms in ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂä 70% of known sufferers, for the remaining 30%, additional migraine abortive medications remain unsuccessful, not tested or yet to be identified. Genetic characterization of the migrainous disorder is making steady progress with an increasing number of genomic susceptibility loci now identified on chromosomes 1q, 4q, 5q, 6p, 11q, 14q, 15q, 17p, 18q, 19p and Xq. The 4q, 5q, 17p and 18q loci involve endophenotypic susceptibility regions for various migrainous symptoms. In an effort to develop individualized pharmacotherapeutics, the identification of these migraine endophenotypic loci may well be the catalyst needed to aid in this goal. In this review the authors discuss the present treatment of migraine, known genomic susceptibility regions and results from migraine (genetic) association studies. The authors also discuss pharmacogenomic considerations for more individualized migraine prophylactic treatments.

Authors


  •   Johnson, Matthew P. (external author)
  •   Fernandez-Enright, Francesca E.
  •   Colson, Natalie J. (external author)
  •   Griffiths, Lyn R. (external author)

Publication Date


  • 2007

Citation


  • Johnson, M. P.., Fernandez, F., Colson, N. J. & Griffiths, L. R. (2007). A Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Migraine Therapy. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 8 (12), 1821-1835.

Scopus Eid


  • 2-s2.0-34548283972

Number Of Pages


  • 14

Start Page


  • 1821

End Page


  • 1835

Volume


  • 8

Issue


  • 12

Place Of Publication


  • http://www.informapharmascience.com/doi/pdf/10.1517/14656566.8.12.1821

Abstract


  • Migraine is a common idiopathic primary headache disorder with significant mental, physical and social health implications. Accompanying an intense unilateral pulsating head pain other characteristic migraine symptoms include nausea, emesis, phonophobia, photophobia and in 20 ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂà30% of migraine cases, neurologic disturbances associated with the aura phase. Although selective serotonin (5-HT) receptor agonists (i.e., 5-HT1B/1D) are successful in alleviating migrainous symptoms in ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂâÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂä 70% of known sufferers, for the remaining 30%, additional migraine abortive medications remain unsuccessful, not tested or yet to be identified. Genetic characterization of the migrainous disorder is making steady progress with an increasing number of genomic susceptibility loci now identified on chromosomes 1q, 4q, 5q, 6p, 11q, 14q, 15q, 17p, 18q, 19p and Xq. The 4q, 5q, 17p and 18q loci involve endophenotypic susceptibility regions for various migrainous symptoms. In an effort to develop individualized pharmacotherapeutics, the identification of these migraine endophenotypic loci may well be the catalyst needed to aid in this goal. In this review the authors discuss the present treatment of migraine, known genomic susceptibility regions and results from migraine (genetic) association studies. The authors also discuss pharmacogenomic considerations for more individualized migraine prophylactic treatments.

Authors


  •   Johnson, Matthew P. (external author)
  •   Fernandez-Enright, Francesca E.
  •   Colson, Natalie J. (external author)
  •   Griffiths, Lyn R. (external author)

Publication Date


  • 2007

Citation


  • Johnson, M. P.., Fernandez, F., Colson, N. J. & Griffiths, L. R. (2007). A Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Migraine Therapy. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 8 (12), 1821-1835.

Scopus Eid


  • 2-s2.0-34548283972

Number Of Pages


  • 14

Start Page


  • 1821

End Page


  • 1835

Volume


  • 8

Issue


  • 12

Place Of Publication


  • http://www.informapharmascience.com/doi/pdf/10.1517/14656566.8.12.1821